Any day in January when you can go for a brisk 2 1/2 mile walk at 4:30 in the afternoon wearing sandals is a good day. For the record, the last day I wore sandals was December 3rd of last year. The last month where I did not put them on once was last February.
A day like this calls for a playlist, and my digital music software came through in spades. This playlist is pure shuffle, and it may take you as far as three miles, if you walk faster than I do and don’t have to stop for dogs. I call it A Warm Day In January:
- A Kiss To Build A Dream On– Louis Armstrong
- Wasted On The Way– Crosby, Stills and Nash
- Runaway Train– Soul Asylum
- Bus Dem Shut (Pyaka)– Bob Marley
- Pressure Drop– the Clash
- Radio Song– R.E.M., featuring KRS-One
- Chega De Saudade– Elaine Elias
- Night Fever– the Bee Gees
- No Myth– Michael Penn
- Warm Love– Van Morrison
- London Calling– the Clash
- Losing My Religion– R.E.M.
This lucky shuffle gets you a nice mix of tones and tempos while keeping up a good walking pace, and combines some well known songs with some that are more obscure. The “Chega De Saudade” is one of my very favorites. Elaine Elias is underrated.