Attention, sports page editors and sports writers in general:
Although I myself am not athletic (at all), I quite like watching sports and particularly reading about them. Many sports writers have a good handle on the English language and can turn a pretty nifty phrase. Just FYI, here is a list of sports I enjoy reading about:
- Football (American)
- Football (Association), international tournaments and the World Cup.
- the Olympics, Winter and Summer
- Individual and pairs sports usually found in the Olympics, like track and field, speed skating, downhill skiing, rowing small boats, and so on.
- Especially ski cross. Ski cross is probably the best sport.
- some kinds of auto racing
- The World’s Strongest Man
Sports I do not enjoy reading about: basketball, hockey, golf, bowling, other kinds of auto racing, anything that is scored on a nonobjective standard. (Things that are judged on nonobjective standards are athletic activities, and/or artistic displays, not sports.)
Please consider this when composing your sports pages. A person can’t get through on entire diner breakfast on a few notes about pro football players driving drunk and two sentences about skiing. The weeks between the Super Bowl and the start of spring training can be difficult, I know, but please step it up.